Keep Your List
Please note — Your List is not saved by our system. When you leave Kindred Works your list will not be saved.
- Birth control on main street : organizing clinics in the United States, 1916-1939
- Unearthing individual stories and statistical records from previously overlooked birth control clinics, Cathy Moran Hajo looks past the rhetoric of the birth control movement to show the relationships, politics, and issues that defined the movement in neighborhoods and cities across the United States. Whereas previous histories have emphasized national trends and glossed over the majority of clinics, Birth Control on Main Street contextualizes individual case studies to add powerful new layers to the existing narratives on abortion, racism, eugenics, and sterilization. Hajo draws on an original database of more than 600 clinics run by birth control leagues, hospitals, settlement houses, and public health groups to isolate the birth control clinic from the larger narrative of the moment. By revealing how clinics tested, treated, and educated women regarding contraceptives, she shows how clinic operation differed according to the needs and concerns of the districts it served. Moving thematically through the politicized issues of the birth control movement, Hajo infuses her analysis of the practical and medical issues of the clinics with unique stories of activists who negotiated with community groups to obey local laws and navigated the swirling debates about how birth control centers should be controlled, who should receive care, and how patients should be treated. --Publisher description.
- ISBN: 0252035364, 0252077253, 9780252035364, 9780252077258
- OCLC: 460058285
Customize Your Recommendations
Show Recommendations by:
- A history of the birth control movement in America
- ISBN: 9780313365102, 0313365091, 0313365105, 9780313365096
- The American religious debate over birth control, 1907-1937
- ISBN: 0786410817, 9780786410811
- The birth control clinic in a marketplace world
- ISBN: 9781580463997, 1580463991
- From private vice to public virtue : the birth control movement and American society since 1830
- ISBN: 9780465025824, 046502582X
- The birth control movement and American society : from private vice to public virtue
- ISBN: 0691612919, 9780691612911
- Birth control and American modernity : a history of popular ideas
- ISBN: 9781316519585, 1316519589
- Woman's body, woman's right : a social history of birth control in America
- ISBN: 0140046836, 9780140046830
- Choice and Coercion : Birth Control, Sterilization, and Abortion in Public Health and Welfare.
- ISBN: 0807876496, 9780807876497
- Moral Property of Women A History of Birth Control Politics in America.
- ISBN: 9780252095276, 0252095278
- Pregnancy and power : a short history of reproductive politics in America
- ISBN: 1429415029, 0814798276, 9781429415026, 9780814798270
- Contraceptive Diplomacy : Reproductive Politics and Imperial Ambitions in the United States and Japan.
- ISBN: 1503604411, 9781503604414
- Devices and desires : a history of contraceptives in America
- ISBN: 0809038161, 9780809038169
- On the pill : a social history of oral contraceptives, 1950-1970
- ISBN: 9780801858765, 0801858763
- America and the pill : a history of promise, peril, and liberation
- ISBN: 0465024599, 9780465011520, 9780465024599, 0465011527
- The birth control movement and American Society or, From private vice to public virtue : with a new preface on the relationship between historical scholarship and feminist issues.
- ISBN: 0691028303, 9780691028309, 9780691094045, 0691094047
- The Margaret Sanger papers : documents from the Sophia Smith Collection and college archives, Smith College
- ISBN: 1556555296, 9781556555299