Keep Your List
Please note — Your List is not saved by our system. When you leave Kindred Works your list will not be saved.
- The birth control clinic in a marketplace world
- The Birth Control Clinic in a Marketplace World is the first book to chart the origins and evolution of the charity birth control clinic movement in the United States from the teens through the 1970s, a period that witnessed dramatic transformation in the goods and services such clinics provided. Rose Holz exposes the virtually unexamined relationship between Planned Parenthood and the commercial marketplace sphere. Challenging more than thirty years of historiography on birth control, Holz sheds new light on battles over reproductive rights through her dissection of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America within the context of the commercial birth control world. Revealing that it would be Planned Parenthood's engagement to charity -- the argument it once used against the profit-driven exploitation of the marketplace -- that would put precisely those women it hoped to assist in dangerous situations, she asks such probing questions as: What were the meanings attached to the provision of birth control and its commercial distribution? How in turn were these meanings used as sources of power? The project draws on rich primary documents and oral histories to answer these questions and to examine the historical role of the local birth control clinic in the modern marketplace. Rose Holz is the associate director of Women's and Gender Studies and an associate professor of Practice in Women's and Gender Studies at the University of Nebraska - Lincoln.
- ISBN: 9781580463997, 1580463991
- OCLC: 748334021
Customize Your Recommendations
Show Recommendations by:
- Birth control
- ISBN: 0737775076, 9780737775068, 9780737775075, 0737775068
- Birth Control
- ISBN: 9780737770292, 0737770295
- From private vice to public virtue : the birth control movement and American society since 1830
- ISBN: 9780465025824, 046502582X
- Intended Consequences : Birth Control, Abortion, and the Federal Government in Modern America.
- ISBN: 1602564639, 9781280655258, 9780198021537, 0198021534, 9781602564633, 1280655259
- Birth control
- ISBN: 0737743344, 9780737746112, 9780737743340, 0737746114
- The birth control movement and American society : from private vice to public virtue
- ISBN: 0691612919, 9780691612911
- Reproductive rights and the state : getting the birth control, RU-486, morning-after pills and the Gardasil vaccine to the U.S. market
- ISBN: 0313398232, 9780313398230
- Grand illusions : the legacy of Planned Parenthood
- ISBN: 9781581820577, 1581820577
- The regulation of sexuality : experiences of family planning workers
- ISBN: 0877224234, 1439906521, 9781439906521, 9780877224235
- Blessed are the barren : the social policy of Planned Parenthood
- ISBN: 9780898703856, 0898703530, 9780898703535, 0898703859
- Family planning sourcebook
- ISBN: 0780803795, 9780780803794
- Birth control and American modernity : a history of popular ideas
- ISBN: 9781316519585, 1316519589
- The American religious debate over birth control, 1907-1937
- ISBN: 9780786450930, 0786450932
- Use of services for family planning and infertility, United States.
- ISBN: 9780840602220, 0840602227
- Choice and Coercion Birth Control, Sterilization, and Abortion in Public Health and Welfare.
- ISBN: 0807876496, 9780807876497