Keep Your List
Please note — Your List is not saved by our system. When you leave Kindred Works your list will not be saved.
- Rabbi Paul : an intellectual biography
- Without Paul, there would be no Christianity. His letters to various churches scattered throughout the Roman Empire articulated, for the first time, the beliefs that make up the heart of Christian practice and faith. In this extraordinary biography, Bruce Chilton explains the changing images of Paul, from the early Church period when he was regarded as the premiere apostle who separated Christianity from Judaism to more recent liberal evaluations, which paint him as an antifeminist, homophobic figure more dedicated to doctrine than to spiritual freedom. By illuminating Paul's thoughts and contributions within the context of his time, Chilton restores him to his place as the founding architect of the Church and one of the most important figures in Western history. Rabbi Paul is at once a compelling, highly readable biography and a window on how Jesus' message was transformed into a religion embraced by millions around the world. Drawing on Paul's own writings as well as historical and scholarly documents about his life and times, Chilton portrays an all-too-human saint who helped to create both the most beautiful and the most troublesome aspects of the Church. He shows that Paul sought to specify the correct approach to such central concerns as sexuality, obedience, faith, conscience, and spirit, to define religion as an institution, and to clarify the nature of the religious personality -- ssues that Christians still struggle with today. -- Publisher.
- ISBN: 9780385508636, 0385508638
- OCLC: 62868613
Customize Your Recommendations
Show Recommendations by:
- Paul the Apostle
- ISBN: 9780824505745, 0824505743
- Paul the martyr : the cult of the apostle in the Latin West
- ISBN: 9781589835160, 1589835166
- Kerouac : the definitive biography
- ISBN: 9780878333059, 0878333053
- The secret of Paul the Apostle
- ISBN: 9780883444542, 0883444542
- Gordon Brown : the biography
- ISBN: 9780684819549, 0684819546
- Saint Paul
- ISBN: 1842120085, 9781842120088
- The Apostle.
- ISBN: 9781434703248, 143470324X
- ISBN: 9780334012269, 0334012260
- St. Paul : the apostle we love to hate
- ISBN: 0544617398, 9780544617391
- Transient apostle : Paul, travel, and the rhetoric of empire
- ISBN: 9780300187427, 0300187424
- Counsel for the defense : the autobiography of Paul O'Dwyer.
- ISBN: 0671225731, 9780671225735
- Elizabeth I : a biography
- ISBN: 9780030129360, 0030129362
- P.S. : the autobiography of Paul Simon.
- ISBN: 9781566251129, 1566251125
- Isaac Bashevis Singer, the magician of West 86th Street : a biography
- ISBN: 9780803736962, 0803736967
- The call : the life and message of the Apostle Paul
- ISBN: 1630882631 (e-pub), 9781630882631 (e-pub)
- All the apostles of the Bible : studies in the characters of the apostles, the men Jesus chose, and the message they proclaimed
- ISBN: 0310280109, 9780310280101
- Julia Roberts confidential : the unauthorised biography
- ISBN: 1852270233, 9781852270230